Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandma's Oriole Chocolate Cake

As a child I looked forward to any birthday because I knew if were going to Grandma Barr's house that we were going to get Grandma's Infamous Oriole chocolate cake. Since Grandma passed away in 2001 I have only made this cake recipe once for my Dad's birthday. Birthdays and this cake go hand in hand so what better than to make it for my Dad's and Jim's combined Birthday party. Yesterday at our home, I threw my two favorite men a dude ranch themed party, with plenty of barbecued chicken, buffalo wild wings (pork shanks) with my tangy homemade barbecue sauce and enough side dishes to serve an army. All of our friends were present and so were these light and perfectly chocolaty cupcakes. I urge you to give these a try!
Ingredients:
For the Cake:
(I doubled this recipe which made 36 Cupcakes)
  • 1 1/3 c. Cake Flour
  • 1 egg unbeaten
  • 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted.
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla

For the Frosting

(I doubled this recipe)

  • 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 1 Stick Butter, at room temperature
  • 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
  • Whipping Cream (My Grandma used Milk)
  • 2 teaspoons Almond Extract (This is what makes this frosting unique)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins.
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add in the unbeaten egg and chocolate.
  3. Combine dry ingredients together in separate bowl.
  4. Alternately combine dry ingredients and buttermilk until well combined.
  5. Spoon into muffin tins.
  6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and clean.

While the Cupcakes are baking:

  1. Cream butter and chocolate.
  2. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing in small amounts of whipping cream in between. Do this until you have your desired consistency.
  3. Place in pastry bag fitted with tip of choice.

I cheated, I was going to make an edible sign but I saw this while I was at lunch on Friday at the Champagne Bakery...still totally cute.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

yumm! i love any cake recipe with buttermilk! i will have to make those!

i was just in NYC and i thought of you when we went to Magnolia bakery in Greenwich Village. i bought their cookbook- cant wait to make their cupcakes!

Rachelle S said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog Giveaway! Nice to meet other SDers! I'm looking for recipes to donate to my daughter's cake walk at their Halloween bash coming up. These sound wonderful!