Wednesday, January 20, 2010

PB&J Cupcakes - Recipe #5


I'm not going to lie, I have baked these before for a mommy & me get together. My dear friend loves these cupcakes and has been begging me to bake them for her for months. So being a great friend I finally did and now I am at my parents in what appears to be a blizzard and will probably be here until Sunday as we are expecting 7-10 feet of snow. I originally found this recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcake book. The peanut butter flavor isn't overbearing, the cake is slightly tinged with peanut butter; this time lacking the crunchiness of peanuts because I forgot to purchase them. The frosting is light and fluffy, using cream cheese, peanut butter and freshly whipped cream. I could eat an entire bowl of this frosting because it tastes just like the filling of a reese's pieces peanut butter candy. Martha's recipe calls for strawberry jam, but I have been on a grape kick for a long time and I personally think it tastes better for this cake.

My Tip:
  • If you decide to bake these you need to adjust the bake time. I forgot to make a note in my cookbook last time I baked these so I went with the suggested 18 minutes, plus an additional 5 because the cake tester came out gooey. They should have only cooked for 20 minutes. The recipe online is slightly different than the book, suggesting the oven temp at 375, it should be 350.
  • Another tip, if you bake or cook something from a recipe and you modify it or think it needs a modification make a note on a post-it or in pencil on the page so you remember the next time you go to that recipe.

Danielle H. and Danielle S. I hope you try this recipe, let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally going to try these out next month!!

DougOLis said...

Loved the taste of the frosting and the cake. It stayed very moist but was kind of difficult to eat because mine sort of crumbled apart into large moist sticky chunks. Not sure why that happened but it did. The taste was great though.

Matthias said...

Mine was crumbly too but in small pieces. Frosting was Yummy! :) maybe try with jelly filling instead of on top. Oh and recomend Raspberry over Strawberry or Grape Jelly.