Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"It's Time for a Change" Cupcakes

Today for many Americans has been a long awaited day. Waking up early to head to polling places, beating lines and hoping that we don't have a repeat of voting years of the past. For me, this is my third presidential election and I have to admit the most emotional. I felt torn when making a decision, but I have to say that I just want to see this country in a better place. Our greatest gift as Americans is our right to vote. My family and I have been butting heads on this years election and I usually bow out of any political conversation. However, I am proud of my vote and extremely proud to vote as a free American. These cupcakes are just a representation of how proud I am of my vote and the younger generation that finally got out there in masses to show their support. Rock the Vote!



Patriotic Cake:
  • One Box White Cake Mix
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Oil
  • Red and Blue Food Coloring
  1. Combine cake mix, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Separate equal amounts of batter into two bowls. Color red and blue.
  2. Layer Half red, half blue. Bake at 325 degrees for 18 minutes.

Easy as Pie Frosting:

  • 1 1/4 Stick Unsalted Butter
  • 1/2 Stick Shortening
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 2 Tablespoons Milk
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar
  1. Cream shortening and butter until pale and fluffy.
  2. Add in powdered sugar, alternating with milk. Add in vanilla.
  3. Pipe cupcakes with desired tip. (1m)

I had originally made chocolate words saying "Vote or Die", "McCain" and "Obama". Obama was the only one that didn't fall a part in my rushed design.

Disclaimer: The coloring came out a little lighter than I wanted. We joked saying that they were Miami Dolphins Cupcakes in support of their victorious win over the much hated Denver Broncos. he he.

No comments: