Monday, November 3, 2008

Black Devils Food with Cream Cheese Frosting and Bats Galore


I know this is a little late, but as usual I have been extremely busy with work and life in general. I wouldn't classify these as the best cupcakes but I still think that they were really cute. I used my Grandmother's recipe for Black Velvet Cake and a simple cream cheese frosting topped with yellow, purple and white sanding sugars for the moon/sky and chocolate bats drawn freehand. They tasted good, but I love cream cheese. Anywho, just something to show that I am still baking I just got in a Minuit rut. More to come with the holidays fast approaching. . .
Black Velvet Recipe:
  • 2 cups sifted Cake Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup Buttermilk

Directions:

  1. Combine Flour, Baking Soda and Salt and set aside.
  2. Cream together shortening, vanilla and sugar. Add in eggs and cream until mixture is light and fluffy.
  3. Add in melted chocolate.
  4. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternating until well combined.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • One Package Cream Cheese at Room Temperature
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 3 cups Powdered Sugar
  1. Cream butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Add in Vanilla.
  2. Mix in one cup of sugar at a time until well combined.
  3. Frost to your liking.


1 comment:

CB said...

LOL @ scat! The black velvet recipe sounds yummy. I love the bats! Thanks for entering the Halloween Cupcake Contest!
Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!